My Craft Room Desk

Since moving into my new house a few months ago, I have been looking for the perfect desk for me to use as a sewing/cutting table.  I couldn’t find one.  There is probably the perfect one out there, but it would probably cost a few pretty pennies.  So, this is what I came up with.

1.  I purchased pre-made unfinished cabinets from Lowe’s.  Like THIS one.
2.  I had a friend cut off the toe kick (the bottom part) to make them closer to desk height rather than counter height.
3.  I applied primer and white glossy paint.
4.  We found this counter top at Ikea.  I love that it doesn’t have a back splash.
5.  I bought the knobs at The Home Depot.  Like THIS one.
6.  I cut some vinyl with my Silhouette machine to decorate the knobs with.

I’m loving what we came up with.  I love the amount of storage.  This is just perfect for what I need.  Now, I still need to finish the sides of the cabinets and I’m on the hunt for the perfect chair.  I also have a few projects in mind for the walls that I hope to show you soon.  What do you think?  Would this work for you?  I am slowly getting my craft stuff organized and out of the boxes.   Now I need to make something.  Anything.

Linked up with:
Delicate Construction
Tatertots ad Jello
Skip to my Lou
My World-Made by Hand

20 Responses to My Craft Room Desk

1. Emily 05/18/2011 at 6:42 am #

Wow! I wish my room looked like that! Good job Hol!

2. Cali 05/18/2011 at 6:50 am #

That really is awesome. I think anyone would love a space like that for themselves. I know I would!

3. Natalie 05/18/2011 at 7:40 am #

Love it! So cute! We put down that hard plastic and a rolling chair in my craft room and I’ve loved that. Just an idea 😉

4. erin 05/18/2011 at 8:38 am #

i’m j.e.a.l.o.u.s.

5. Treat and Trick 05/18/2011 at 9:51 am #

Emily,

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Love to see you often….

6. Rachel 05/18/2011 at 1:15 pm #

I love your desk!

7. Jennifer 05/19/2011 at 8:04 am #

Wow—those knobs are adorable! The whole piece looks super functional AND pretty! Have fun gettin’ your craft on. 🙂

8. Christine - Tutorial Addict lol 05/19/2011 at 3:02 pm #

That is PERFECT!! What a great idea to take cabinets and a counter top! And tons of storage! Looks great!

9. Amy@HomeRemediesRX 05/19/2011 at 6:17 pm #

This looks like the perfect place to create…love it!

10. Emily 05/20/2011 at 1:21 pm #

Awesome! If I ever have a room for this I will copy your idea.

11. Love Sweet Love 05/20/2011 at 1:36 pm #

LOVING this!!! This is exactly what I would want for a craft room desk if/when I get one!-it turned out great! Following you now, can’t wait to see all the fun things you create using that desk! 🙂
    -Angela

12. Amy Jones 05/21/2011 at 7:55 am #

Perfect! Absolutely perfect. Now…get sewing, my friend. Something with that Pure bundle you’ve been hanging on to, maybe? 🙂

13. Sue 05/21/2011 at 9:02 am #

It’s beautiful! What a pleasure to sit down at this desk and do crafts:)

14. mom24boys 05/22/2011 at 12:55 pm #

This is fabulous! Nice job. I have been picturing something like this for myself. Thanks for sharing. I am your newest follower. You have so many great ideas.
    4growingboys.blogspot.com

15. Nan 05/30/2011 at 4:53 am #

Great job! I’ll be doing something like that too for my workspace. Finding cabinets and the table/counter will be a flat door! I linked my office ideas to the Creative Bloggers Party that I’m co-hosting. Have a great week!
    PlayfulDecor.blogspot.com

16. SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime 05/30/2011 at 10:05 pm #

My goodness! This turned out lovely 🙂 Thanks for sharing with us!

17. Anonymous 10/28/2013 at 7:26 pm #

Just wondering…did you need to secure your cabinets to the wall at all? I want to make something similar and wasn’t sure if it would be stable without attaching it to the wall. Thanks!

• Holly {Bits Of Everything} 10/29/2013 at 10:19 am #

I didn’t attach it to the wall. It was plenty sturdy without having to do that. We did secure them to each other and to the top. This seemed to be enough.

• Anonymous 10/29/2013 at 1:14 pm #

Thank you for the quick reply. I need to do something freestanding and this looks perfect. 🙂

18. Herb Jones 05/06/2016 at 3:54 pm #

HOLLY,
    AFTER A HIGH QUOTE FROM A CUSTOM FURNITURE MAKER, I DECIDED TO PURSUE THE DIRECTION YOU TOOK ON THE CRAFT BENCH.
    MY WIFE WANTS A BENCH FOR CARD MAKING. MOST OF THE PAPER SHE USES IS 12″x12″,and I’d like to put two stacks in each drawer.
    The top I want is Coriander.
    Could you tell me the overall dimensions…..especially front to back, and the inside dimensions of the shallow drawers?