Candy Bar Letter Tips

Pinterest Facebook Twitter Email

candy_bar_letters

One of our most popular posts right now is the Candy Bar Letter that I made for Father’s Day a few years ago.  There have been a few questions about it, so I thought I would show you my step by step process and share with you my candy bar letter tips.

1.  Size.  How long do you want your letter?  How many treats do you want to buy?  I usually use a regular poster board (22 inches by 28 inches).  If you wanted to do a shorter letter, I would cut a poster board in half, making it 14 inches by 22 inches.  I even think a little candy bar note is cute, using a quarter of a poster board (11 inches by 14 inches).  If you don’t have poster board on hand, you can always use card stock.  Tape 2 pieces together to make it a little bigger, if needed.  Check out this post that Emily did that is a good example of this.

2.  Rough Draft.  I usually jot down a few notes of what I want my letter to say.  From that rough draft you can then make your shopping list.

3.  Spacing.  I lay out my candy bars and treats on the poster board, guessing where they would fit, making sure I have enough room for everything.  If there isn’t enough room or too much room, adjust accordingly.  If you don’t have enough room, you can eliminate your least favorite sentence (You now have a treat for yourself!  Yay!)  or write your words smaller and fit the candy in tighter.  If you have extra room, write your words bigger and leave more space in-between sentences.

4.  Write the words.  I usually just wing it, writing everything with a sharpie, leaving spaces big enough for each treat.  My daughter just made a candy bar letter for Fathers Day and I had her write it in pencil first, just in case we wanted to adjust things before we added the sharpie.  This was a great idea for her.

5.  Attach candy bars and treats.  I’m sure there are several ways you could attach your treats.  I always use scotch tape or masking tape.  Some treats are heavier than others, so some might require more tape than others.  I use tape pieces about 1.5 inches long and roll them into a circle.  My daughter tried to use bigger rolls and her candy fell off the poster a lot more easily.  Now, if you are going to hang the poster up or put it on a door, you may need to look into stronger adhesives.

Here are a few ideas to spruce it up:
Use colored poster board.
Use stickers or markers to decorate the edges.
If it’s from kids, have them each sign their own names.
If you need it to be smaller or want to mail it, write the letter with blanks that are numbered.  Number your treats to match up with the appropriate blank.  Check out this good idea.
If you don’t like your handwriting, check out this option.

Candy bar letters are perfect for any occasion.  Fathers Day, Mothers Day, Birthdays, Teacher Appreciation, Thank You, Good Luck, Get Well Soon, Holidays, etc…

Here are a few more candy bar letter ideas for you:
Happy Birthday (Half of a poster board size):

Good Luck (Quarter of a poster board size):

Love you (Quarter of a poster board size):

Father’s Day (Full poster board size, by my daughter):

14 Responses to Candy Bar Letter Tips

1. Emily 06/13/2012 at 12:10 pm #

Great Post Holly. I love all the ideas!

2. Chef Penny 06/22/2012 at 3:49 pm #

I love all the ideas! i definetly bookmarked it for later use!

3. Yolanda Crisostomo 02/25/2013 at 1:01 am #

This a Sweet idea! No pun intended! I can think of a few people with sweet tooths that would love to get this candygram :))))

4. Anonymous 05/05/2013 at 12:03 am #

Love it!!! I was really stuck on what to get them, THANK YOU!!!!!!

5. Anonymous 12/23/2013 at 1:56 pm #

trying to make one of these for a last min xmas gift :D

6. Tayla 03/29/2014 at 10:51 am #

Perfect for my bestfriends birthday

7. livejasmin hack 4.0 04/28/2014 at 8:18 am #

Thanks foor sharing your thoughts on livejasmin free credits.

Regards

8. Lacy 05/19/2014 at 7:54 am #

Thank you, this is perfect!!!

9. Madea808 09/10/2014 at 7:02 pm #

Hi Holly,
    Just wanted to let you know I love reading your ideas. I had a suggestion to make aobut the candy boards. If they have a good size candy story using 6 or more candy bars they might also consider using the tri-fold boards. It’s easy to carry around and easy to set up anywhere, it can stand by itself. I would make candy boards for co-workers that were leaving or someone’s birthday. So I would put the story in the middle and let everybody sign on the sides, or put pictures on the sides.

10. Betsey 09/24/2014 at 8:56 am #

Piece of writing writing is also a fun, if youu be familiar with afterward you can write oor else it
    iis difficult to write.

11. Betty 09/24/2014 at 10:28 am #

Amazing issues here. I’m veery happy to look youir post. Thanks so much and I am looking forward to touch you.
    Will you kindly drop mme a e-mail?

12. Latisha 11/20/2014 at 11:48 pm #

It is the most commonly made mistake you definitely want
    to avoid. There is really no scope for errors, especially with the photography beccause your wedding pictures freeze the most memorable moments off your
    life forever. Your wedding will be unique annd your wedding photographs should
    also be unique.

1. Last-Minute Father’s Day Craft: Candy Bar Letter « Canadian Family - 06/11/2014

[…] full instructions for this yummy gift can be found on the Bits of Everything site. We also love Lil’ Luna’s take on this craft, where she framed the candy bar poster with a […]

2. 51 Easy Handmade Gifts for Father's Day that the Kids can Make or Help Make | frugalandthriving.com.au - 08/28/2014

[…] Candy bar letters @ Bits of Everything […]