DIY: Extra Long Curtain Rod

I have 3 huge windows in our living room that have needed curtains for a long time, but I couldn’t find a curtain rod big enough to go all the way across them all!
My friend Meghan made her own curtain rod and told me it was easy, so I tried my own!
(I also found instructions here)
I bought the curtains from Target
1/2 inch electrical conduit (only $2 for a 10 ft length at Home Depot)
Pipe Cutter for $6 at Home Depot
and 3 sets of curtain rod hooks from Home Depot

12 Responses to DIY: Extra Long Curtain Rod

1. Sara 10/08/2013 at 5:36 am #

Hi,

The work was great and one can enjoy the fruit of labour with these kind of works. Thanks for sharing with us. Curtain looks awesome..

2. Dee Williamson 10/08/2013 at 10:10 am #

Oh my goodness, what a brilliant idea! We have a super long window in our living room and regular curtain rods just look weird. Plus they bow in the middle even with extra support. Thanks! I’m definitely going to try this!

3. Jennifer {The Craft Patch} 10/08/2013 at 8:04 pm #

Cali- I did the same thing in one of our rooms with the conduit… but I actually made my own rod mounts because I couldn’t find any that weren’t ridiculously priced.

4. Chris 10/19/2013 at 4:32 am #

I am wondering about the taping together part. I need a long curtain rid, but I have no panels in the middle like you do. Do you have a pic of the taped areas? What tape did you use?

5. Lily 09/15/2014 at 2:42 am #

I agree with Chris…more pics please. I’m a big dum dum when it comes to DIY

6. Hortencia 03/01/2015 at 4:46 pm #

I pinned you a while back ago cuz I loved it and I swear I must be referring HUNDREDS of people to your site cuz this is ONE of my extremely POPULAR repins!!!! xoxoxoxo fyi – smiles!

7. Hortencia 03/01/2015 at 4:52 pm #

Oh! Ha, ha, ha…I have it on a few boards but people mainly get it from my “WTF This is FAB” page…thought you might get a kick out of that! Even though it is so wonderfully inexpensive and just plan wonderful….I…may actually have a chance to do my windows now within the next couple of weeks!!!! Still needs to be budgeted!!! THANKS SO MUCH!

8. norma 08/04/2015 at 12:34 pm #

wow!
    I am planning on doing something like this, but for our bedroom. Would that hold blackout courtains?

9. Jenilyn 03/23/2016 at 4:52 am #

How did you hide the tape?? Can we see a photo?

10. Moises 03/23/2016 at 6:42 am #

You could also use a conduit coupling for 1/2 inch and I would not use the screws and put tape around it to make it more sturdy. http://m.homedepot.com/p/Raco-EMT-1-2-in-Set-Screw-Coupling-5-Pack-2022B5/203671378

11. Janel 06/04/2016 at 8:46 pm #

I am sad to see electrical conduit is now $12-$19 for a ten foot length. 🙁

• floridatreasure 10/31/2016 at 8:05 am #

at home depot today(not on sale) $2.45 per 10 ft length??