Homemade Instagram Ornament

I’ve saved my favorite ornament for last.  This year I’ve loved using Instagram.  It is such a fun way to share things in your life with others and remember things you’ve done too!  Why not put your memories into an ornament?

This little wood block ornament contains our favorite family activities we did in 2013.  This is now my favorite thing on the tree.  It’s so easy to make too!

Supplies:
1.5 inch wooden blocks (any craft store should have them. I got mine at Hobby Lobby.)
Paint (Any color you want.  I think I’ll do a different color every year from now on.)
Mod Podge
Screw Eye Hardware (you only need one, but now I have 20!)
Ribbon
Pictures
Vinyl (optional – for the name and year.  A sharpie would work too.)

1 – Paint block.
2 – Glue the pictures on with Mod Podge.  (I did mod podge on the block and the back of pictures, doing one at a time.  After it dried, I added a layer of mod podge on top of all the pictures.)
3 – Vinyl.  Add Vinyl to top of block.  (Or write on it with a sharpie.)
4 – Screw in your eye screw hardware.  I had to start mine by hitting it a few times with the hammer first.
5 – Ribbon.  Tie a ribbon through the eye screw to hang the ornament with.  Then use another piece of ribbon to tie the bow around the screw eye hardware.

More information about the pictures.  I printed mine at home, but anywhere you can print a picture is great.  I used photoshop to put all my images into a 4X6 file.  I made sure that all my pictures were just a tad smaller than 1.5 inches square.  I printed 5 pictures.  Yes, I put one on the bottom.  It was better than having an empty space.

If you don’t have photoshop, try using PicMonkey.com.  You could also try using this tutorial from My Sister’s Suitcase about how to make a collage on your phone and send it to print — all from your phone.  Awesome!

We plan to make this ornament a tradition — adding a new one to our collection every year.  Love it!

11 Responses to Homemade Instagram Ornament

1. Ashlee 12/07/2013 at 10:16 am #

Wow! So cute!! You could make one for each kid of pictures of them and the things they did through this year… and do one every year. This is a great idea you could do so many different ways!

2. Jonie Marie 12/09/2013 at 8:45 pm #

I love this idea! It is such a fun way to remember the different big events from that year! pinned!

3. Leanne 12/10/2013 at 12:08 am #

What a fun ornament and I already have everything to make it! Thanks for sharing!

4. Debra Hawkins 12/10/2013 at 11:07 am #

This is so darling! I love the idea of making one for every year. So cute.

5. Lindsay @Artsy-Fartsy Mama 12/10/2013 at 11:26 am #

Such a cute idea!! Love it!

6. marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings 12/10/2013 at 11:24 pm #

love love love it! photo ornaments are my fav and I’m a new IG addict so this is perfect

7. Yvonne 12/12/2013 at 6:23 am #

What a great way to get some of those IG picts off the phone and in to real life! I love pictures and displaying them, this is such a great way! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Yvonne @ Triedandtasty.com

8. Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff 12/12/2013 at 12:28 pm #

This is such a great idea! I love how personalized it is! I think this would be fun to do a family ornament, but then just one for each of my girls, too.

1. Instagram Block Ornament - Sugar Bee Crafts - 12/05/2014

[…] saw the idea on Bits of Everything – hers is super cute.  You can hop over there for more detailed tutorial […]

2. How to make a Picture Puzzle - Sugar Bee Crafts - 12/11/2014

[…] easier or harder adding or subtracting more puzzle pieces. I used the 1.5 inch block to make these Instagram ornaments and they are still a […]

3. Favorite Christmas Ideas from OSSS Contributors (she: Mariah) - Or so she says... - 12/22/2014

[…] Instagram Ornament ~ Bits of Everything […]