Smart Phone Easter Egg Hunt for Older Kids

To receive your clues using the QR codes, you will need a device (iPhone, iPod, Android, etc…) that you can put apps on.  There are several free apps you can use to scan your QR codes very easily.  The one that I use is simply called “Scan.”  (Note: if you plan to be far enough away from home, away from your wireless internet, be sure to have cell phones available.)   When the QR code is scanned, it takes you to an image on my blog that has the clue on it.  Simple as that.

Smart Phone Egg Hunt2

Smart Phone Egg Hunt3

All the clues are numbered.  The QR codes are numbered to match the corresponding clue.  Print all the QR codes and only use the ones that work for your yard.  I tried to come up with a lot of options – since we all have different things in our yard.  You could also just print out my clues and NOT the QR codes.  That would be fun too!

Egg-Hunt-Clues1small

Download Clues Page 1

Egg-Hunt-Clues2small

Download Clues Page 2

Egg-Hunt-QRcodes1small

Download QR codes Page 1

Egg-Hunt-QRcodes2small

Download QR codes Page 2

To make this hunt just a little trickier, I wanted to make the Easter Eggs blend in a little more.  No more bright colors that pop out for the big kids.  One kid will look for brown eggs and another kid will look for green eggs.  Both of these muted colors should blend in more and be just a little bit harder to find.  They need a fun challenge!

Smart Phone Egg Hunt4

All printables and downloads made by Bits of Everything are for PERSONAL USE ONLY.  Please do not alter or claim as your own. Feel free to link back to http://blog.bitsofeverything.com/ if you like our printables.  We would love a comment if you download. Thanks!

39 Responses to Smart Phone Easter Egg Hunt for Older Kids

1. Amy | The Happy Scraps 04/10/2014 at 6:48 am #

This is such a cute idea! I’m sure my kids would love this if I did it. 🙂

2. Leanne 04/11/2014 at 8:47 am #

This is such a fun idea! My kids are going to love doing this. Pinning!

3. erica 04/12/2014 at 7:23 pm #

Thanks so much for sharing this! My kids will love it!

4. Debra 04/14/2014 at 9:04 am #

Ummm… how cool are you? Seriously this is awesome!

5. Jonie @ Just Between Friends 04/14/2014 at 10:03 am #

This is such a fun idea! I bet your kids love it! Pinning so that I can use it when my kids get older.

6. Julie 04/18/2014 at 11:20 am #

What a great idea! Thanks!

7. amanda 04/19/2014 at 8:41 am #

wow … thank you, this is perfect for my kids and they will get such a kick out of it! FYI … I’ve downloaded the first set of QR’s with no problem, checked them & they worked great. The second set however, won’t download.

8. Nicole 03/31/2015 at 12:08 pm #

I love this but I wish there was an inside the house version. Not guaranteed a warm day on Easter in our colder Canadian climate. 🙁

9. Deanna 04/01/2015 at 6:40 pm #

I downloaded all sets easily and the QR codes seem to work fine. Three days before Easter and my husband says, “You are going to have an Easter Egg hunt for [our son] and his friends aren’t you? Actually, I thought at 17 I wouldn’t have to anymore; wrong. Thank you SO much for helping me make this a fun event and saving me LOTS of time. LOVE IT!

10. Becki 04/04/2015 at 10:39 am #

Hi I love this idea so much and appreciate how much effort you have put into them. I was wondering how you did this or if i could send you some more difficult clues to fit on some clue cards. My daughter would love this but the clues need to be a bit harder

• Melanie Kauffman 04/14/2017 at 7:43 am #

Were you able to get more difficult clues? My kids are older and would enjoy more difficult ones as well!

11. Chris 04/04/2015 at 8:47 pm #

Oh my goodness – this is amazing! You are a rock star for creating and sharing this 🙂 Thanks so much!

12. LindaHAZ 04/05/2015 at 9:03 am #

Thank you for the effort you did and sharing with your readers! I was able to use 14 of these clues for our yard!

13. Deanna 04/07/2015 at 7:46 am #

Update: I changed three of your clues to fit our yard and added one for the Golden Egg with Chic-Fil-A gift cards. The teens were SO pleasantly surprised that it was so much fun. We have a lot of trees and some clues were in similar places but they had to go from one part of the yard and back many times. My kids aren’t crazy about candy so I found items to make it more personal like air freshener vents wraps for the car since they are driving and s’more ingredients made with the Peeps (Pintrest idea), Funky Flames for social gatherings around the fir pit and the small generic party poppers. One of the last stations had a drink on ice and another had the hand sanitizer wet wipes. Of course some candy but at least it wasn’t an overwhelming amount. Thanks SO much for all the effort you put into this idea. It saved me so much time.

• Lisa 04/06/2017 at 10:26 am #

How did you change the clues? I need to and cannot figure it out. Thank you!

14. Deanna 04/07/2015 at 7:49 am #

Tip: The way I changed the clue was to find a QR Generator from the internet and used Plain Text. It wasn’t as pretty but it got the job done. Then I printed them on sticker paper, cut the code out and stuck to a bag or basket at each station.

15. Sarah 03/16/2016 at 7:31 am #

Hi, this is awesome and I would really love to use this for my oldest son this year – I am having difficulty downloading the images for the codes. Is there any way you can email me the pdf’s?

• Jamie Nelson 03/25/2016 at 6:56 pm #

Sarah,
      Did you get a response as I am also not being able to download image or QR code.
      Tk you

16. Lucy n 03/26/2016 at 12:46 pm #

Where could I leave number 9 – abit confused
    Could you respond ASAP

17. Corene 03/26/2016 at 8:10 pm #

I did this last year for my eight going-on-nine year old. It was wonderful! This year he wondered if the Easter bunny (yeah, he still believes…☺️) …”was still going to do that thing with (phone)”. I was so happy that he was looking forward to it. Thanks.

18. Shelly 03/26/2016 at 8:48 pm #

This is so cool. Thank you so much for helping me with my procrastination! I am sure the older kids will love this tomorrow.

19. Allison Bautista 03/28/2016 at 10:26 am #

I did this with my teens (13,14,18) this year and they LOVED it!!!! I hid one egg at each spot so it was a race too. Very fun and active. The clues were great and the download was super easy. Thank you!!!!!

20. Chris 03/26/2017 at 6:36 pm #

Thank you so much for sharing this activity! We are having an Easter Egg hunt for all of my parent’s great grandchildren who range in age from preschool to teens. The preschoolers are having one hunt and the pre-teens and teens will have another. I do need to change some of the clues because it needs to fit my daughter’s home and yard but I think it will be fun and challenging for me to do it. I can’t wait to see their reactions and watch all the fun. Happy Easter!

21. Claire 04/10/2017 at 1:16 pm #

This is an amazing idea. Works great with the free qr scan apps. Thanks so much for coming up with this idea. My 10 year old is gonna love it.

22. Cas@inspireandmake.com 04/10/2017 at 1:57 pm #

This is such a creative way to create an Easter Egg hunt for Tweens. I have a lot of creative ideas for Easter Egg hunts on my website but haven’t seen one like this for Teens. Such an inventive idea! 🙂

23. Ella 04/10/2017 at 3:49 pm #

Thank you for a great idea for Tweens – Teens! I am a grandmother who is technologically challenged. This helped me a lot! My grandchildren still love their Easter Hunt and hopefully I’ll really surprise them this year!

24. Lynda 04/11/2017 at 7:09 am #

Thank you for doing all of the hard work for me. My older grandchildren will LOVE this! I am also generating a harder list for my adult children, codes with pictures.

25. Mary 04/11/2017 at 5:26 pm #

Thank you so much for sharing your fantastic idea.
    I downloaded all pages with no problem.
    I am sure my teens are going to love it!!!

26. kristal :) 04/12/2017 at 8:48 am #

YAY!!! I printed the codes and the clues and they work perfectly!!!! My crazy kids and their cousins are going to love this!! THANK YOU!!!!

27. Rachel Middleton 04/15/2017 at 10:56 pm #

Thank you for sharing your idea!!

28. Mary Herdrich 04/16/2017 at 1:28 pm #

This was awesome! We had family members of all ages participate. We divided up into teams. The teens and young adults especially loved it! We put the clues in the hidden eggs, so they had to follow the clue to the next egg, before they got their next QR code to look for. We live near a large park, so we also gave them a map of the park, and put the eggs throughout the park using some of your clues (e.g. monkey bars, park bench, etc). We lucked out with beautiful weather, so hiking through the park made it extra fun. I added another clue (for the boardwalk in the park) by just including a handwritten clue. I also gave bonus points if they sent me a Snap Chat or group selfie from the park bench. Thank you so much for sharing this! They all want to do it again next year! Any chance you’ll add some new clues or make an indoor one in case it rains?

The hardest part was figuring out the order for each team to find the clues in. I wanted each team to find their clues in a different order so they weren’t all going to the same spot at the same time. (I had a different colored plastic egg (one for each team) at each location. This way, each team was sent to a different location to find their next egg/clue. The older kids had a lot more running back and forth between clues, than the younger kids did. That worked out great, although it took me a bit to get it planned out.

Thanks again for sharing this; it created memories that will last a lifetime for us! 🙂 Happy Easter!

1. 14 Fiendish Ways to Make Easter Egg Hunt Clues - Hobbycraft Blog - 03/13/2015

[…] Smart Phone Easter Egg Hunt by Holly for Bits of Everything […]

2. Easter Egg Hunt for Older Kids - Using a Smart Phone!! - Colorado Coupon Club - 03/24/2015

[…] Smart Phone Easter Egg Hunt for Older Kids […]

3. Unique Easter Egg Hunt Ideas | creative gift ideas & news at catching fireflies - 03/25/2015

[…] […]

4. 13 Creative Easter Egg Hunts - Pretty My Party - 03/28/2015

[…] 5. Smart Phone Easter Egg Hunt for Older Kids: Bits of Everything […]

5. 12 Inventive Easter Egg Hunt Ideas Kids Will Love DIY Projects & Creative Crafts – How To Make Everything Homemade - DIY Projects & Creative Crafts – How To Make Everything Homemade - 03/31/2015

[…] via Bits of Everything […]

6. 8 Creative Ideas For a Unique Easter Egg Hunt – Lesson Plans - 04/02/2015

[…] Smart Phone Egg Hunt from Bits of […]

7. Food Free Easter Egg Hunt Ideas – Lil Allergy Advocates - 02/17/2016

[…] Bits of Everything has a fun game idea for tech savy kids using QR codes.  […]

8. Easter egg hunt for tech kids – QR code hunt | neverbeingbored - 03/22/2016

[…] again Pinterest was my guiding light – from this pin – leading to this blog post http://blog.bitsofeverything.com/2014/04/smart-phone-easter-egg-hunt-older-kids.html […]