Quilt Backing Ideas

My favorite challenge lately when making quilts is to add some fun character to the backing.  No more plain boring backs on your quilts!  Here are a few new quilt backing ideas for you to consider.

Quilt-Back2

This is the quilt backing for my Flowering Snowball Quilt.

Buying 4-5 yards of fabric for the backing of a quilt can add up fast.  Here are some ideas of how you can piece your quilt backing to use up scraps and not have to buy more fabric.  Let start with the traditional way to piece the backing fabric of your quilt.  Using fabric that is purchased 42-44 inches wide, these are your options:

QuiltBacks5edit

Using the same fabric for the whole back, you would need anywhere from 3.5 to 5 yards (or even more!) depending on the size of your quilt.   To  create a fun pieced back to your quilt, I just buy one length of fabric (the length of your quilt, approx. 2 yards) and then use scraps to fill in the rest of the needed width.  Here are a few ideas of how to do this:

QuiltBacks3color-edit

Now that I’ve got you thinking, I thought you could come up with some of your own ideas.  Here is a blank sheet of pretend little quilts for you to doodle on and come up with your own backing patterns.

QuiltBacks2edit

Download Quilt Backing Planner Printable

I have a few more quilts in the works with fun backings on them, I can’t wait to show your more!

6 Responses to Quilt Backing Ideas

1. Elsie 07/18/2016 at 9:13 am #

Very nice good ideas thanks for the info we can always use more ideas

2. MELISSA SHEEHAN 08/24/2016 at 3:58 am #

It was fantastic to see your quilt backing creations! I love doing this and coming up with a new design! I like to use up my scraps as well as fabric isn’t always cheap. My quilting friends always want to look at my quilt backs!! So thankyou so much for sharing your ideas!

3. Julie Brill 01/02/2017 at 3:58 pm #

I love interesting quilt backs. I’m working on one now. Since I do linear quilting, I am wrestling with how to match up the seams on the quilt top and quilt back…and how to keep the backing panel straight. How is that accomplished?

• Glenda Nicastro 04/17/2017 at 3:59 pm #

I try not to have seams match up and piece off centre to reduce seam bulk. QAYG is one way to use many different fabrics on backing.

4. Beth holness 01/22/2017 at 8:12 pm #

Hi, I have always considered the backing of a quilt as the B side and worthy of attention. I live in Australia, where summer is 9 months of the year . If I make a quilt it can be 2 colourways in one. Browns on the top and purples on the backing and quilted in brown thread.When the quilt isn’t in use either side can be shown adding interest in any room.

5. Sharon Haynal 04/18/2017 at 6:40 am #

I very seldom have a plain back. Usually use up all the scraps I have left & then add what I need for the rest.