I saw this picture on Pinterest a while back and just KNEW it was for me.
I LOVE, love, LOVE organization and if I had unlimited time & money, I’d do it a lot more often!
This is an Ana-White pattern. I love that whole site. I could spend all day
looking for ideas! If you like to build things and figure how to do it on your own
(instead of paying someone to build it for you) you should totally check out this site!
(photo credit here)
Her website says 3-6 hours and $30 to do this project; however, if you are not experts, like us,
it will take longer and more $$. Just so you’re prepared!!
This is the before look.
(I bet you can’t tell that I love organization from looking at my little girls’ closet, can you?)
begging and pleading talking my husband into helping me, we got started.
We pretty much just followed her exact instructions. We built the outside.
Then the shelves.
We decided to make the bottom shelf about 4 inches bigger, for the bigger books.
Then we used 1 X 2’s for the shelf trim.
My husband has a nail gun, so that is what we used on all of this so far.
Then we brought it inside that night and puttied the wholes and then after it dried, we sanded it.
We also put two wheels on the front of it to help add some support.
Then we took a break for a few days.
When we got back to it, we painted it two coats of purple that we had left over from another bedroom.
The color was Sherwin Williams, (Cashmere & Low Luster) 6815 Awesome Violet.
Next, we took the shelf and put it up against the door where we wanted it to go and
marked it with a pencil. Then we took the closet door off the hinge and took it to the garage.
We laid the new shelf on top.
Next we drilled holes through the shelf AND the door. We centered the first hole and then came in about 2 inches on each side for the other holes. So there are three holes in the top support and three in the bottom.
We were nervous about the weight of the shelf because it was a hollow door.
Luckily, we found these toggle bolts that worked out perfectly!
We had to drill bigger holes to get the toggle part through, so we moved the shelf for that part.
Then we put the screw through the hole in the shelf, attached the toggle part, and then pushed it through the bigger hole in the door. It snapped into place without any problems. (Expect for my smashed finger =)
Finally, when it was secured to the door, we reattached the closet door.
I liked it, but the front wheels didn’t slide on my carpet very well. I didn’t want it to leave a mark, so
we decided the shelf was sturdy enough without the wheels.
We just took them off! I know…I know… we’re rebels!
End result: A lot of work, but we LOVE it!