October means Pumpkin Season!
Cali took this picture of my little boy Weston last year!
We have a little tradition to carve pumpkins for Family Home Evening at least one Monday night during October.
Have you ever baked the seeds? Here’s a recipe for it – if you want to try it this year!
Picture and recipe from allrecipes.com
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 1/2 cups raw whole pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Toss seeds in a bowl with the melted butter and salt. Spread the seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown; stir occasionally.
And here is a yummy dessert recipe that I got from my mother-in-law:
Pumpkin Pie Squares
- 1 pkg cake mix (reserve 1 cup)
- 1/2 c. melted margarine
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 2 c. pumpkin in can
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- Dash of salt
- 2/3 c. milk
Ingredients for Top Crust
- 1 c. cake mix
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 c. margarine
Mix first 3 ingredients and press into 9×13″ pan. Push up sides. Mix the next 6 ingredients and spread in pan. Mix the topping and sprinkle on top of pumpkin layer. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes. Just before serving, top each square with whipped cream.
Hope you and your family have a wonderful pumpkin season!