Thanks to Duncan Hines for sponsoring my writing. There’s no limit to the baking possibilities, so grab your favorite Duncan Hines mix and Comstock or Wilderness fruit fillings and Bake On! www.duncanhines.com.
During the month of December we have a lot of activities to attend. Luckily, we don’t live too far from both sides of our family, so most of our get togethers are with family. We always take some food to contribute. I am usually asked to bring a dessert. The last several years it seems like I come home with my whole dessert minus one piece. So this year I decided to make a more enticing dessert, so everyone would want to eat it! I found the perfect recipe for a Peppermint Sandwich Cookie at DuncanHines.com.
Peppermint Sandwich Cookies
1 box Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge Brownie Mix
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 can Duncan Hines Vanilla Frosting
10 red and white peppermint candies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine brownie mix, oil, and eggs. Stir with a fork to combine into a stiff dough. Dough will seem dry, but will completely moisten as you stir.
3. Working with 1 even tablespoon of dough at a time, roll dough into balls and place on baking sheets 2 inches apart.
4. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until edges are set. Do not over bake. Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
5. Spread frosting on the flat bottoms of half of the cookies. Top each frosted cookie with another cookie, flat sides together.
6. Place the crushed peppermint candies in a shallow dish. Roll the sides of each cookie in the crushed peppermints so that the candy sticks to the frosting.
I added red food coloring and some peppermint extract to my frosting. Yum!
I was so happy when I went back to the dessert table to see my plate of cookies all gone!! They were a hit. I received many compliments on my yummy treat. It is amazing what you can make with a brownie mix and frosting. I will be sure to keep a few boxes on hand for the next time I have to take a dessert! (I think Santa might like these cookies too! You should try them.)